Friday, February 26, 2010

Talking Point #3

Gayness, Multicultural Education, and Community
by Dennis Carlson
1. "Much as communist teachers were to be drummed out of the teaching corps because communism was "contagious," so gay teachers were to be fired because they too were understood as contagious"
I can not believe that people thought that "gayness" was contagious. The fact that they actually would fire a qualified teacher just because they are gay, really upsets me. Thankfully today this is not an issue anymore, but the actuality that it once was an issue is shocking and really makes me realize that I am lucky to live in the time frame I do.
2. "Normalizing texts systematically exclude and neglect the culture of those outside the norm for the purpose of ratifying or legitimating the dominant as the only significant culture worth studying."
Carlson makes a very good point here. I never thought about it before now, but he is really right. There is really a heavy impact on all students that the culture that they use in all the texts books is the only culture worth studying.
3. "Yet the intimidation continues, much as it does in the military."
Thought there is very little discrimination with gays, there is still intimidation. This means that people still have worries about being around gays, and are almost scared to be around them as well. This should not be the case but I have even found myself feeling this in some sort of way.
This article really gave me a lot of information about what gays had to go through in the past. I never knew that people were fired because they were gay. I always thought that the gays were going through rough and hard times today but now I know that there were many more things that they had to go through as well. The education system really doesn't include gayness in any of the curriculum's except when teaching about HIV/AIDS. I really enjoyed reading this article and learning a lot more than I knew before.

5 comments:

  1. Brynne,

    Your first point is illegal now but if you translate it to kids in school instead of teachers, you will see kids are ostrechized for being gay. It is upsetting that that happens as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was as surprised as you about the "gayness" as "contagious" example in the reading - amazing the ignorance of people and the effect it has on lives by the firing of qualified employees based on this ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way with your second quote. When I was reading that I realized that Carlson did make a very good point. Good choice for your quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also shocked at the fact that at one point people thought that 'gayness' was contagious and something that you can catch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also felt it was despicable that to call gayness contagious and compare gay teachers to communist teachers. Way out of line.

    ReplyDelete