Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Talking point #4

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us
by Linda Christensen
1."Many of us grow up in neighborhoods where we have limited opportunities to interact with people different from out own families..."
I believe this is a very huge part of why we don't know any different that what we see. There are so many different types of people and we are so set on what we already know. The narrow view that many people have, is the only view people are willing to use.
2. "Happiness means getting a man, and transformation from wretched conditions can be achieved through consumption-in their case, through new clothes and a new hairstyle."
This is the way every fairy tale is played out. Cinderella is the most popular Princess story and personally my favorite. Even though this is how the story portrays happiness, I feel that once you get old enough you will realize its just a story and not real life.
3. "For some the lesson doesn't end in the classroom. Many who watched cartoons before we start our study say they can no longer enjoy them."
This is not the point of cartoons. Cartoons such as Looney Tunes are meant to be funny and entertaining. I personally don't see how analyzing cartoons like this is important. I understand that there are not enough diversities brought into the cartoons, but the fact that analyzing cartoons is ruining peoples take on them is not what should be happening.
This article was very hard to read. The text was very blurry and i couldn't focus because of that. What I got out of the article was that people were over analyzing cartoons and the meanings of them. Like I said before, I understand the problem that different diversities are not very well represented but I don't believe that we should have to over think the point of a cartoon. I liked that she provided her students the chance to make a difference by doing all the different types of projects.

7 comments:

  1. Brynne,
    I love the quotes you choice i think these were some really important ones and it shows us how we have to realize that we are manipulate the young minds and racism is never going to end if we continue to do these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on how I never thought the cartoons were meant to be analyzed like they were in this article, however I feel like Johnson, Delpit and Dr. Bogad would say we think this becuase we are a part of the culture of power, and those with the power are often oblivious to the fact that we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I think its a little exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that the cartoon thing is a little much but for most kids it is where our ideas of race first show up. the companies that make these shows need to be able to give a more liberal point of view without forcing it or even making it very visible. make cartoons be cartoons and maybe dont emphasize race at all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I somewhat disagree with your view here. Though it may seem a little exaggerated, I think we can sort of look the other way like molly said. We can be oblivious to the underlying messages in these cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that at this point, there is no way to take the emphasis off of race when it comes to Disney. Whenever there is a white princess, some people will be complaining why she isn't black. Now that there is a black princess, other people are complaining about the way she is portrayed. If they make another cartoon about an Asian prince and an Asian princess, other people will complain that Disney should portray interracial marriage instead. Disney is kind of in a tough spot for a while, no matter what they do. I think its so annoying. I wish people could just look at the characters as people and concentrate on the message, like love for example, without noticing what race the characters are and criticizing everything they can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all your quotes and I also don't like how these cartoons are over analyzed.

    ReplyDelete