Tuesday, March 16, 2010

talking point #5

In the Service Of What? The Politics of Service Learning
by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheime
This article is about the two different parts of Service Learning. It also talks a lot about how it is beneficial to both the student giving the service and the student receiving the service. Both participants gain many positives aspects to their learning expediences. Unlike many of the previous articles that I have read I almost completely agree with what this one is saying. I found some good quotes in the article that really helps to understand what Service Learning is.
1. "It is the combination of service and critical analysis, not either by itself, that seems most likely to promote interest in and insight into these complex social issues."
I agree that each part can not serve by itself. Like many other aspects of life most things don't work completely or perfectly without something else to hold it down. Both parts are beneficial and need each other to be proactive.
2. "Students tutor, coach softball, paint playgrounds, and read to the elderly because they are interested in people, or because they want to learn a little about poverty and racism before they head out into the waiting corporate world..."
I don't like how some people think of Service Learning as charity work. There is way more to it than just helping those who are less fortunate. There are learning opportunities for both the students who are receiving the service and those students who are actually taking part in the tutoring.
3. "Students would interact with those less fortunate than themselves and would experience the excitement and joy of learning while using they community as a classroom."
I agree completely that students need to learn in other places than the classroom. Having other experiences is what makes the students who they are individually and there is still a ton of learning to be don't. Finding things for the students to do and participate in outside the classroom is a key component of the roles of teachers.

5 comments:

  1. Brynne,
    i agree with you totally i feel it is benifical for both parties and the quotes you have choosen really support the argument

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brynne,
    I agree with your third quote and I like that you chose that one. The classroom is not the sole place for learning and I like how you put that in your explaination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brynne,

    I feel learning outside the classroom is very important. Definetly in all SL projects of course but it is also very important when your younger. Parents who realize this see their kids do well in reading, writing and mwath because they get plenty of practice at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I liked all your quotes and explanations they helped understand the text more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I selected the same first quote as you and felt it applied to our service learning. If I went to my service learning and didn't need to write our journals and reflect back on the tutoring of the students I wouldn't gain as much learning and benenfit as much as I do from that analysis of the time with them

    ReplyDelete