Monday, April 12, 2010

Extra Blog 2

Today in class was very interesting. When we were asked what social class we were in when we were 13, I never realized how well off I really was. I decided that I was in the upper middle class when I was growing up. My father was the Vice President for a company in upstate New York, and made very good money. My mom didn't have to work but she did once we were all in school full time. She was a 3rd grade teacher at an elementary school the town over from where I lived. My brothers and sisters and I all had nice things but were never spoiled. I lived in a very white upper middle class neighborhood and had a nice house. We moved there when I was 3 and lived there until I was 15. We has a full court basketball court on our property and a pool. I grew up with other kids that were around the same social status as me so I never new any different. Once I moved to a different area I started to realize and see more of where I stand. This assignment today made me actually break down the reasons I think I am what I am and it really made me understand.

Also when we were handed out the worksheet to do I was in shock. I am so use to doing group work and I was surprised with the change. I thought that it was just a different style of teaching and that you were just trying to accommodate other learning styles. Then once you asked how we felt about it, I was sure that it was just a testing opportunity to that went along with what the reading was teaching. I really liked that because it made us all appreciate the group work more because I think we were all getting sick of it.

1 comment: