Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Talking Point 9

Citizenship in School:
Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome
by Kliewer
1."I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry."
I have worked with some children who have Down Syndrome in the past couple of years. They always seem so happy to me, but maybe its because all we are doing is playing games and sports. I had always wondered how people with this really felt about how they were treated. This quote explains what I have always thought they felt like, but never knew.
2. "The challenge is to erase negative attitudes about people with developmental disabilities, get rid of the stereotypes and break the barriers for people with disabilities."
After stating that "now we know that people with disabilities can learn and have a full and rich life," this is what we need to do. There should be no question when it comes to how we should treat people with disabilities. Even though they do need extra care, depending on how severe their case is, they still deserve to be treated with respect. I like how it was so easy for me to find the so what and now what parts of this article. This quote is the Now What?
3. "(1)the attribution of thinking to one another; (2) the ability to see one another's individuality; (3) the ability to view the relationship as reciprocally valuable; and (4) the attribution of a valued social place for one another."
A study was done between people with disabilities and their relationships with people without disabilities. The study found that these 4 factors were very visible in the study. I learned that without all the pre-set thoughts of the person, you can really have a normal relationship with anyone. I was happy to find that these were the four different aspects and that is what you need in every other relationship, no matter what the circumstance is.
I really enjoyed reading this article because it gave me so much insight on how people with disabilities really feel. I have a friend who's little brother had Down Syndrome, and he is just as smart and sociable as a person who doesn't have it. I know in some cases its worse than others and that they need more care than some, but like I said before if they have the respect and the treatment the same as everyone else, they will be able to succeed. The schools need to be aware of the feelings and wants of these children who want to be in regular classes just like everyone else.

5 comments:

  1. i agree, after reading this article i feel that i have a better understanding of what some disabled students feel when it comes to schooling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brynne, your first quote is good but I wouldn't generalize and say thats how everyone with down syndrome feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 2nd quote is really good. The true challenge is to eliminate the stereotypes out there and negative feelings that go along with developmentally disabled people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wondered how Down syndrome kids felt. I have been around them for years in school but just was never allowed to talk to them. I've always been interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brynne I totally agree with your last quote. And Kyle you weren't allowed to talk to them??!?

    ReplyDelete